31 Ago Nominal Strength and Size Effect of Quasi-brittle Structures with Holes
Last April 15th, the AMADE’s researcher Abdallah Kabeel got his PhD in Technology for the research work titled:
Nominal Strength and Size Effect of Quasi-brittle Structures with Holes
Advisor: Dr. Pere Maimí Vert
The main contribution of this work is to introduce analytical models able to create simple design charts that would allow designers to quickly determine the strength of quasi-brittle structures containing circular holes. Cohesive Zone Models (CZM) are an excellent tool to model quasi-brittle structures with holes in which a large failure process zone is confined in a plane. Also, the CZM is able to predict the effect of the structure size on its strength. Moreover, it is one of the few models (or the only model) that takes into account the material cohesive law explicitly. Therefore, most of the presented models in this work are based on the CZM.
The global objective of this thesis is achieved through three partial objectives. The first one is focused on development of an analytical model able to predict nominal strength and failure envelope of isotropic quasi-brittle OH specimens under biaxial loading conditions. The second and the third objectives considered introducing analytical models for net-tension strength of single- and multi-fastener double-lap joints that are made of isotropic quasi-brittle materials.
Members of the panel
- Dr. Constantinos Costas Soutis, University of Manchester (President)
- Dr. Giuseppe Catalanotti, Universidade do Porto ( Vocal)
- Dr. Daniel Trias Mansilla, Universitat de Girona (Secretari)
- Nominal strength of quasi-brittle open hole specimens under biaxial loading conditions. Composites Science and Technology, 87: pp. 42-49, 2013. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2013.07.022)
- A. M. Kabeel, P. Maimí N. Gascons, E.V. González. Net-tension strength of double lap joints taking into account the material cohesive law, Composite Structures, 112: pp. 207-213, 2014 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2014.02.008)
- A. M. Kabeel, P. Maimí, E.V. González, N. Gascons. Net-tension strength of double-lap joints under bearing-bypass loading conditions using the cohesive zone model, Composite Structures,119: pp. 443-451, 2015.(http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2014.08.036)