Experimental methodology for obtaining fatigue crack growth rate curves in mixed-mode I-II by means of variable cyclic displacement tests

atigue-mixed-mode-I-II-amade-composites

A contribution named Experimental methodology for obtaining fatigue crack growth rate curves in mixed-mode I-II by means of variable cyclic displacement tests has been published by I. Jaeck et al. (amog them several AMADE members) in the International Journal of Fatigue. It presents a novel procedure to characterize the crack growth rate curve under fatigue mixed mode I + II loading in a MMB test by compliance monitoring and visual recording of the crack length. It is a time saving procedure especially when the explored severity range is wide.

Paper information

Title Experimental methodology for obtaining fatigue crack growth rate curves in mixed-mode I-II by means of variable cyclic displacement tests
Authors: I. Jaeck, L. Carreras, J. Renart, A. Turon, F. Martin de la Escalera, Y. Essa
Journal, Volume, Page, Year: International Journal of Fatigue
DOI:

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2018.01.016

Highlights

• A variable cyclic displacement test methodology applied to MMB is presented.
  • The linear region of the crack growth rate curve is explored in one single test.
  • The approach is applicable to any mode mixity.
  • The crack length is monitored using a dynamic compliance calibration procedure.
  • The testing effort, in terms of time and required material, is reduced.

Project and Finding

• Relevant projects: European Union by the financial support of ERANet AirTN 01/2013 under the project entitled “Methodology to design composite structures resistant to intra- and interlaminar damage (static & fatigue) – MERINDA”.
  • Funding institutions: European Union by the financial support of ERANet AirTN 01/2013 under the project entitled “Methodology to design composite structures resistant to intra- and interlaminar damage (static & fatigue) – MERINDA”.