29 Abr Virtual calculation of the B-value allowables of notched composite laminates.
The Composite Structures issue of last March includes a paper that addresses the problem of defining the design parameters (B-basis design allowables) that are to be used in notched configurations of CFRP laminates. The allowables must account for the manufacturing, geometrical and microstructure variability. Usually, this would require an expensive experimental campaign. The contribution of this paper is to propose a more affordable method which uses the three ply-based material properties (elastic modulus, unnotched strength and R-curve) on a Uncertainty Quantification & Management statistical framework. This procedure has been validated with open-hole tension experimental results for the IM7/8552 material.
|Title||Virtual calculation of the B-value allowables of notched composite laminates.|
|Authors:||O. Vallmajó; I.R. Cózar; C. Furtado; R. Tavares; A. Arteiro; A. Turon; P.P. Camanho|
|Journal, Volume, Page, Year:||Composite Structures 212 11–21 (2019)|
- The design of composite structures for the aeronautic industry relies on the accurate determination of B-basis design allowables.
- In the determination of the B-basis, the variability due to the material properties and the geometrical parameters may be taken into account.
- Time consuming processes are not ideal during preliminary design. Therefore, an analytical model is used to compute the design allowables.
- A new methodology based on Monte Carlo simulation is proposed to compute the B-basis of notched configurations of CFRP laminates.
- The framework presented is used to develop design charts for notched specimens.
Project and Funding
- Funding institutions: Catalan Government, Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (Portugal), Spanish government (Ministerio de Economia y Competitividad) and the European Social Fund